Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

MY STRUGGLES AS A WOMAN....

the post of struggles of a man was really good,i thought i would shed some light on the flip side,thereafter i will combine the two and see where both men and women can begin winning instead of struggling.hopefully i shall speak for a good number of women out there...
---------
as a woman i struggle ...
i struggle to speak for i was socialized to be meek,quiet end silent
when i spoke of my dissatisfaction i was called disrespectful
i was seen to disobey 'my place as a woman'
yet on the other hand they blamed me for my silence
said it was the reason i had my troubles
said i should have stood up for myself
they left me for the dead and say i caused it by being quiet,
did i really?
i struggle to speak...

as a woman i struggle...
i struggle to fit,
when i had no money,no job,...just babies
they said i was a burden,a dependent
that i drained their accounts,had no value
that i could not think,
my children were told that they were foolish like me,
i was left for a more intelligent woman,an independent one...
when i came top of my class,
graduated with first class honors,
had a job that got me a guzzler
a beautiful home and maintained me
they called me 'miss independent',
said i was not fit to be a mother,a wife or a companion,
i wonder who fits?
i struggle to fit...

as a woman i struggle...
i struggle to show emotion.
they use to say,no woman,no cry,
my tears were a bother to them,
they said i was weak and incapable of strength,
they ostracized me for i could not hold them inside
when i toughened up,showed no emotion
they said i was feeling less,
i was not a woman,but a man in the making
i was not capable of consoling or being approached,
my function was no more.
what was i in society?
i struggle to feel...

as a woman i struggle to remain level headed,
to unite two warring nations
i know i am capable of getting through the 'glass ceiling'
but whenever i show capability
i am accused of wanting too much
being too daring,taking a man's space
when i relax and no longer chase my dreams
i automatically become the boring wife
who is left for the more ambitious secretary
seemingly she is more interesting
her ambitions make her good company
wasn't i like that till you killed my dreams?
i struggle to define my boundaries.

as a woman i struggle...
i struggle with the expectations,
they want me to hold a full time job
assist them to provide
yet they expect me to maintain a home by myself
if i employ a helper,then i must be lazy
if i ask for help,"what kind of a woman are you?"
is the question i receive
i struggle to meet all their needs
for i have been threatened time and time again
that i would be left for a more able woman
i struggle to meet your expectations.


i struggle to be me,
to live to my full potential,exploiting my abilities
to be the good person i truly am without fingers pointing
to be free from the chains and the unfair
double standards given to me
i struggle with many more things
but as a woman i guess i struggle most
trying to be me in a world
that does not want me to be me.
i do not want to be a traditionalist
neither do i want to subscribe to feminism,no
i just want to be a woman, a
a capable woman,...

yours truly,....

No comments:

Post a Comment