Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

ACHILLES' HEEL SYNDROME

For those who know me a bit well, they know I shudder at the thought of asking for directions in town. To some this is a simple task, but to me – no way! I can almost feel myself sweating should I have to do that. I cannot count the number of times I have gotten lost in some corner in town simply because I couldn’t ask. The number of times I have wondered about for hours on end looking for a building that happened to be just around the corner is countless. As I turned a year older in January, I realized the power of weaknesses….
In life heroes were brought down by their weaknesses, we know of Solomon and his many women, David and Bathsheba, King Ahab and his love for complements…all great men and women do have their Achilles’ heel. For anyone to bring us down, they just need to focus on our weaknesses. It is these weaknesses that have sold out many of us even in our own personal lives. We tend to concentrate so much in what we are good at and keep painting this near perfect image of strength and unshaken ability. The truth is, even the strongest of men do have their points of weaknesses.
The wisdom for this year for me has been learning that no matter how strong one is they can always be tipped over by their weaknesses. I don’t know where your weakness is but my suggestion is get to know it, get to master it. You can never really be 100% strong but you can learn how to handle your weaknesses. We lose too much in this life because of our weaknesses, yet the sad truth is that we gain less for our strengths.
This is not a trip for the faint at heart. It may require some deep searching of self, some unimaginable and painful admissions (worse than the one I have just made) and at best some cold hard truth. However this is a trip set to save us from destruction, from the loss of all that we struggle to build. Maybe you should take a moment to think about this. Don’t waste time looking at how to strengthen your strengths while the enemy is busy looking at how to break you apart with your weaknesses.
A while back someone said to me, you can never lie to yourself, the devil and God. This is no easy task (especially for those of us who don’t like admitting fear/defeat) but it is bound to be life saving. For me, God forbid the day I will miss a great opportunity simply because I got late wondering around instead of asking for directions. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link – how strong is your weak link?? This is a lifelong project, even for me it will take time for me to comfortably ask for directions, but the thought that it could be my Achilles’ heel, my weak link…then I have to do something about it. For the remaining part of the year become much stronger by facing your weaknesses in the face and dealing with them…walk this journey with God-and a friend if you may, it is worth the steps…

No comments:

Post a Comment