Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

MY ROLE MODEL...

recently i was watching the show 'sebuleni' hosted by Carol Mandi.the theme was re-invent your life. seeing as this was an informative kind of show, i had to get something from it. one of the speakers said something that struck me..."when we live comparing ourselves to the next person, we seize seeing for ourselves"
as i sat there it reminded me of something i needed to do.ever since we were young, somebody always asked us "who's your role model?" as usual i had the common array of Mandela,Mahatma Gandhi and other world leaders. it was good that i saw myself as being able to achieve that kind of impact.however i forgot that i was not them and they were not me,my impact in this world was not going to be theirs,their impact had been done, i needed to curve my own.personally, looking back i think having a role model is an element of comparison.what we want to do is have a certain character trait these people had, we don't really want to be them.they had their life and we have ours.we are all made for something,never the same thing....i will no longer want to chase the elusive dreams but rather take time to grow to be ME.
what i did was to assemble the qualities i admired in the various people i admired,i thought about them,made a choice of the realistic ones(there those i was never going to achieve e.g. being less opinionated) and i came up with my role model...
it was no longer a person i had seen, no longer about a book i had read but my new role model i decided would be 'the future me'. we all want to be better people one way or the other,be it spiritually, emotionally, physically or even mentally.considering there is only so far we can go as we are gifted differently we are the perfect role models for ourselves.there is the best person you can be,there is the talent and the gifting within you,there are dreams that inspire you ....let that keep you going.whenever i think of the future me...i see so many possibilities, i smile thinking of what could be.therein lies my strength and will to be better, knowing that i am aiming to be a better me and not a prototype of someone else.explore the possibilities of who you are and be the best 'you' that you can be.there is a God to guide your desires and your path toward your goal.drop the names and put your best as your aim.....
next time somebody asks me who's my role model I'll say "the future me,she is a strong,God-fearing woman,who dares,inspires and challenges me to move to a higher level in all areas of my life" for those who want to know how this said woman looks like you can always mail me we chat ...:-).i think of who i want to be in the next years and i work towards that,role models are a guiding light not my main lantern...

No comments:

Post a Comment